Popular Posts

Sunday, May 13, 2018

The Nomadness of the Trailer (as in appendage!) Spouse


Beijing
13th May, 2018
The Nomadness Of the Trailer Spouse


Pack, unpack, set up
Organize, arrange, hook up
Misplace, discard, goof up
Search, find, just when your time is up

Two hundred cartons hold home and hearth
Hundred to open, the rest stay apart
Open, repack, sort, and re-sort 
Mourn, moan over the shattered antique teapot

AC, DC, two point, three point
slanting, straight, round or flat
plugs, extensions, adaptors
We have them, I swear, but don't know where

Wo is where, wo is I
Neither Germans nor Chinese get me, I wonder why
Could it be my wires sometimes go awry?
Could it be I use where when I want to say I?

A life that is lived in short bursts
Memories boxed in world capital slots
Births, deaths, celebrations
Filed, stored in three year encapsulations

The dilemma of the trailer spouse
Will I just entertain and keep house?
Can I find work, can I not?
Will I just sit on my backside, will I not?

Bad hair days? No bad hair years!
Thinning, falling, breaking, I fear!
And what of the battleground that is my skin
Thanks to the many different climes it has seen

Mornings are for coffee, mahjong, bridge
Bazaars, charities, fund raisers and such
Now slap on your evening make up, dash out 
Do your wining, dining, mingling about

Bags and dark circles the eyes adorn
Just repair the night's damage, smile and carry on
Onward to another event, another reception
When all I want to do is watch television

Come along he says, we won't stay long
I need you there, saree, bindi and all
No second bidding needed, let's go, here I am
Let's do our thing, you and me, my man!

No comments:

Post a Comment